Hi LCCC Family,
Everyone needs to know the plan for this fall, because it affects, well, everyone! Here are the details for our church-wide experience this fall:
Our Semester System
We have had remarkable experiences these last several years, doing an all-church focus in the fall semester (40 Days of Community, The Truth Project, Love On Another, Heaven, Forgotten God, etc), and then each small group setting their own Spirit-led agendas for the Winter/Spring semester. Having such strong church-wide unity in the fall, and then such freedom the rest of the year, has proven incredibly effective to our Body (so much so that other churches are even “borrowing” our system for their own scheduling strategy!)
So, what is in store at Lake City this fall?
This Fall at LCCC
Our all-church focus this fall will be a series called “Heroes: Ordinary People with Extraordinary Power.” Here is Pastor Jim’s synopsis of the series:
Faster than a speeding layoff, more powerful than a deadly disease, able to leap the strongest temptation. Wouldn’t it be great to have the strength for to face and to overcome such things? Finding supernatural power for living isn’t the stuff of fiction! It is available to ordinary people who trust in God. Join us this fall as we explore the stories of six ordinary men and women whom God transformed into extraordinary heroes, and how we can apply that same power to every situation in our lives.
Beyond the appealing content of this study, the method of our church-wide experience this year will be most enjoyable. In our small groups, we will be using the method of biblical storytelling. Biblical storytelling moves far beyond lecturing, to sharing a personal and relational experience in God’s Word which brings us closer together, open and ready for our mission to become and make better disciples.
Ample training is offered for our leaders to become comfortable with this method, unified in our vision, and excited about a new year of ministry. The two formal training sessions are: the Sept. 2 “Heroes” Curriculum Meeting (this Sunday!), and the Sept. 15 Lake City Ministry Summit. A special note: While both of these trainings are open to everyone, the first is specifically for small group leaders; and the second, the Lake City Ministry Summit, is for the entire church – absolutely everyone who is involved in any ministry at LCCC.
At these formal training sessions we will also cast the vision for our plan for improved informal, coaching relationships.
Here, now, is the complete fall schedule for small groups:
- Month of August – Recruiting leaders and finalizing list of small groups
- Sept. 1/2 – Small Group signups begin, at foyer table and on website
- Sunday, Sept. 2 – “Heroes” SG Leaders Curriculum Meeting – Gym, 2nd service (10:50-12:10PM)
- Saturday, Sept. 15 – Lake City Ministry Summit – An exciting day of equipping, for everyone wanting to do better ministry for Jesus in our church, communities and homes. (9:00AM-1:00PM)
- Click to Enlarge
- September 16 (week of) – Small Groups kick off; groups get to know each other
- Sept. 22/23 – “Heroes” Series begins. “Heroes” #1 – Abraham: Learning to Trust God Fully
- Sept. 29/30 – “Heroes” #2 – Elijah: The Courage to Stand Alone
- Oct. 6/7 – “Heroes” #3 – The Shunammite Woman: How to Respond to a Test of Faith
- Oct. 13/14 – “Heroes” #4 – Josiah: The Power of Humility
- Oct. 20/21 – “Heroes” #5 – David: The Heart of Worship
- Oct. 27/28 – “Heroes” #6 – Rahab: A Faith that Triumphs Against All Odds
- November – December 9 – Since the series finishes six weeks before the end of the small groups semester, leaders will likely intersperse small group study nights with other important activities like relational service projects, fun nights, a Thanksgiving Dinner, your Faith In Action Projects, and a finale Christmas Party to end the semester on a joyful note!
Other Nuts and Bolts
Our study guides are in printing right now. They will cost $8. Couples can share one book. They can be paid for at the foyer table during the weekends, or at the church office during the week. Only people in small groups will be able to buy them for the first couple weeks of the series (to make sure we have enough for our small groups).
Our children’s and youth ministries will participate in the same series this fall, so be prepared to answer their thoughtful questions at home! All ages are also welcome in our small groups, as well.
Small Group Catalogs will be distributed in our services this month. Or, to see a list of groups, and contact the leaders directly, view the “group finder” links on our church website small groups page. (This list is continually updated is groups fill or open up, or new groups form.)
Please take the bold step of at least visiting one or two Lake City Small Groups this fall! Friendly people who want to grow in Jesus with you are waiting to welcome you.
Blessings on our homes this fall,
Making disciples, creating community, growing in love for God, one another, and the world.