We read the “Christmas Story” in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. You won’t find a narrative in the gospel of John, but you will find there the theology, purpose and riches of Christmas!
So, here is something different this year with your family and friends at Christmastime – Christmas through the eyes of John.
Before opening presents or starting that Christmas party, grab your Bible (maybe a good study Bible) and read and discuss these passages:
- John 1:1 – The Trinity: Who and from where Christ was for eternity before the Christmas events.
- John 1:14 – The Incarnation: The most succinct statement of the Christmas story.
- John 1:16 – Without Christmas, Christ wouldn’t have flesh to sacrifice; and we wouldn’t have grace…only judgment!
- John 3:16-17 – Christmas and Good Friday in one. These events should not, and cannot, be isolated.
- John 6:42-51 – A common response to Jesus in the flesh (41-42), and our fitting reply (51).
- John 18:36-37 – Jesus Christ came to bear witness to the Truth. (The purpose of the incarnation.)
- John 8:31-32 – The effects of the Truth? SALVATION AND FREEDOM from sin (guilt of sin, power of sin), death, Satan, hell, meaninglessness, emptiness…
- John 17:18 – And finally, our calling now — to continue the mission that Jesus began! (cf. 15:16;20:21)
And with that, have a MERRY CHRISTMAS by making it ALL ABOUT JESUS!
Blessings on your homes,