Our groups are winding down the Fall, 2014 Semester. Finish well, groups!
This post is to help our small group leaders as you pray and plan for next semester; to be prepared and as proactive as you can be to lead your group well.
Winter/Spring, 2015 Calendar
Click for a printable LCCC Winter/Spring Calendar Template that gives general church information.
How NOT to Start Your Next Semester
There is a common way to start a new small group semester. And then there is a better way.
The Problem: If a group starts their semester right off with the new Bible study curriculum, they will be locked into the “study” mold and mentality, as if that is all you exist to do, no matter what you try to do later.
The Solution: As you (and your Inner Circle) create your calendar, start your semester with some of the other items which often get crowded out:
- Start with a meal or fun night. You are a spiritual family, after all. Set the tone to actually enjoy each other!
- Start with a worship/prayer night, seeking God’s guidance and setting a worshipful pattern for your year.
- Start with a service/outreach project, or series of them, declaring: “We are going to be the hands and feet of Jesus!”
- Start with sharing your personal salvation testimonies, to celebrate God’s grace in our lives and get to know each other well.
- Start with having the kids involved in worship, so they see Jesus Christ as the center for your group’s existence.
- Then, start your curriculum, having become close friends and spiritual siblings; soul mates and teammates. We have 16-20 weeks in the Winter/Spring Semester. No need to rush into a curriculum. There is plenty of time to do it all!
NOW, Choose the Right Curriculum
Since our foundation is God’s Word, a good curriculum makes an effective tool. Come browse and check out some of our many curriculums. NOTE: Our ever-expanding small group curriculum library will not be on a table in my office for browsing this year (as pictured). This year, we are moving to the church library, where you can access and check out materials more easily (and I don’t have to climb over the table to get to my desk all winter!)
And, don’t forget that you can help us keep building up our curriculum library, with…
“The Lake City Offer”
Important Training and Kickoff Dates
Here are a few important dates for your calendars:
- Training: As always, there is one required January training session, offered twice, for your scheduling convenience:
- Option 1 – Offered as a workshop at the Church Family Summit, Saturday, January 10, 9:00AM-1:00PM.
- Option 2 – For those who cannot attend the Church Family Summit, come to the make up session on Sunday, January 18, during 2nd service (10:50-12:10pm).
- Kickoff: Winter/Spring Semester kicks off the week of January 18, after a few weeks of signups. Be prepared to welcome new people, if possible.
NOTES: All Summit workshops and small group training sessions are always open to everyone. Families and discipleship groups are welcome to attend together.
The Winter/Spring Semester runs through early June, so it’s a bit longer than the Fall Semester, leaving you room to do more things and have more transformative experiences.
May God be glorified in our ministry,