Praise God, our groups are winding down a memorable Fall 2016 Semester. This post is to help leaders pray & plan for next semester.
How NOT to Start Your Next Semester
So, let’s start with how NOT to start your next semester.
A typical question leaders are asking is: “What curriculum should I kickoff the Winter/Spring semester with?” My preferred answer would be… NONE!
This goes back to why our groups exist. Are these groups Bible studies alone? No, definitely not. But, experience teaches that if a group launches their term immediately with the new Bible study curriculum on the first week, then that group will become forever locked into the “study” mold and mentality, as if that is all you exist to do, no matter what you try to do later.
The Solution: Start your semester with some of the other vital small group elements which often get crowded out:
- Start with a meal or fun night. You are a spiritual family, after all. Set the tone to enjoy each other!
- Start with a worship, prayer, and/or communion night, seeking God’s guidance and setting a worshipful pattern for your year.
- Start with a service/outreach project, or series of them, declaring: “We are going to be the hands and feet of Jesus!”
- Start with sharing a few personal salvation testimonies, to celebrate God’s grace in our lives and get to know each other well.
- Start with having the kids involved in worship, so they see Jesus Christ as the center for your group’s existence.
- Then, start your curriculum, having become close friends and spiritual siblings; soul mates and teammates. We have 16-20 weeks in the Winter/Spring Semester. No need to rush into a curriculum, there is plenty of time to do it all!
Provided Calendar: Be ready to pull out that Winter/Spring Calendar with your group to plan out the entire semester together – host locations, fun days, weeks off, trips together, meal plans… whatever you can plan. It is found in the first couple pages of the Leader and Member Toolkits.
NOW, Choose the Right Curriculum
Since our foundation is God’s Word, a good curriculum or Bible study plan is a vital tool. Come browse our many curriculums in the church library, where you can access and check out materials.
And, don’t forget that you can help us keep building up our curriculum library, with…
“The Lake City Offer”
Here are a few important dates for your calendars:
- *Leader Training: As always, there is one required January training session for all leaders, offered twice, for your scheduling convenience:
- Option 1 – Sunday, January 8, 10:00-11:15AM.
- Option 2 – For those who cannot attend the January 8 session, come to the makeup session on Saturday, January 21, during one of the 50-minute workshops of the Church Family Summit. Attend just this workshop, or better the entire half-day seminar.
*This year’s training will focus on “The Why?”, local and global small group missions, conflict resolution, key winter/spring dates, and more.
- Signups: Signups will officially be open to new members starting on Dec. 31/Jan. 1.
- Kickoff: Winter/Spring Semester officially kicks off the week of January 15. Be prepared to welcome new people, if possible.
All Summit workshops and small group training sessions are always open to everyone. Families and discipleship groups are welcome to attend together.
The Winter/Spring Semester runs through early June, so it’s a bit longer than the Fall Semester, leaving you room to do more things and have more fun and transformative experiences.
Our mission and vision remain the same:
May God be glorified in our ministry,